Most homes and businesses continue to use manual thermostats instead of upgrading to programmable thermostats. There are many reasons to do so, including the most important: to save money. But how much can these devices save your home and business? We’ll discuss below.
The Benefits of a Programmable Thermostat
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, your electricity bills can be cut back by 10% simply by turning your thermostat back seven to ten degrees Fahrenheit from your normal setting for only eight hours a day. You save even more in a business that is only occupied approximately 40 hours a week or for properties located in extreme climates, as we are in Spokane and the surrounding areas.
Other benefits to these devices include but are not limited to:
- Increased savings in properties with more than one HVAC unit or thermostat.
- Better appearance and performance of the thermostat.
- Optional reminders to replace filters.
- Increase in value for the home or business.
How to Select a Thermostat
You may be ready to buy, but choosing a programmable thermostat can be a daunting task. You will find several types of thermostats to choose from.
- One week programming – Allows you to schedule one program for week that repeats throughout the year. A good choice for mild climates.
- 5 to 2 programming – You may program one setting for Monday through Friday and another for Saturday and Sunday.
- 5 to 1 to 1 programming – You may program one setting for Monday through Friday and another for Saturday and another for Sunday.
- 7 day programming – You have a certain setting for every day of the week.
- Smart programmable thermostats – These handy devices allow you to adjust your thermostat from your phone or smart device, as well as program them as you like.
Still need help selecting a unit? Click here to get a list of the best programmable thermostats on the market for 2019.
Get a Professional to Install a Programmable Thermostat
We recommend replacing your old, manual thermostats for just these reasons. This goes for all our residential, commercial, and industrial clients. At the Barton Boys, we serve everyone in the Spokane Valley, Hayden, and Coeur d’Alene with all their HVAC needs. Contact us today for more.